Post-Operative Instructions for Shoulder Arthroscopy
1 Call Dr. Choueka’s office at 718-283-7362, or Dr. Edelstein’s office at 718-283-8927 for :
- Temperature above 102 ºF or severe chilling.
- Persistent nausea or vomiting.
- Severe pain not relieved by oral medication.
- Excessive or persistent swelling and redness around the incision.
- Excessive bleeding or draining on the dressing.
2 Dressing Gown
- There will be a white dressing with a plastic covering on your shoulder.
- It is waterproof, but do not soak it.
- Remove it 2 days after surgery and take a regular shower.
- Underneath you will see steristrips (brown strips). Do not remove the steristrips.
3 Ice packs to your shoulder for 30 minutes, 4 times a day for 3 days.
4 Arm sling
- Wear the arm sling at all times.
- You may remove it to take a shower and twice a day to move to move your elbow up and down.
- Do not try to raise your arm.
5 Follow labeled instructions on your prescriptions.
- Do not take your oral pain medication on an empty stomach.
- Do not drink alcohol or drive while taking the prescribed pain medication.
- Start taking your pain medication before your anesthetic block wears off.
7 If you have received general anesthesia:
- Do not drive, drink any alcohol, and do not use any heavy equipment for 24 hours after your discharge from the hospital.
- Do not make any important decisions (i.e. sign important papers) for 24 hours after your discharge from the hospital.