John Munyak, MD
A Board Certified Sports Medicine physician and lifelong athlete himself, Dr. Munyak, at The Brooklyn Orthopedic Institute, provides treatment for all sports medicine and musculoskeletal disorders. He performs state-of-the-art injections, including using ultrasound, to exactly guide the needle without the use of radiation. Dr. Munyak’s extensive knowledge of sports medicine, orthopedics and emergency medicine allows him to provide his patients with the most advanced care and up to date treatments available. He will utilize any methods possible to avoid surgery for his patients. When all non-operative and conservative measures have been exhausted, including the judicious use of various healing agent/orthobiologic injections, such as prolotherapy/sclerotherapy, platelet rich plasma (PRP), Hylauronic acid (HA), interleuken-1 receptor antagonist (IL-1Ra), as well as corticosteroids as indicated, and a customized/comprehensive physical therapy/rehabilitative program has failed, you will be referred to an outstanding orthopedic surgeon. He also performs state-of-the-art diagnostic ultrasound, including dynamic ultrasound, which does not use radiation, and, as opposed to MRI, allows the problem to be revealed while the patient is moving the injured extremity.
Dr. John Munyak provides treatment for all disorders of the upper and lower extremities as well as any spinal sprain/strain. This includes treatment for any joint pain from arthritis and sports, trauma/fracture care, overuse disorders, and other sports and non-sports related shoulder, elbow, wrist, hip, thigh, knee, foot and ankle concerns. The Center has on-site occupational and physical therapy, ultrasound, fluoroscopy, splinting, injections, casting and X-rays.
Conditions Commonly Treated
- Acute injuries
- Ligament Sprains (any – such as ankle sprains)
- Tendon/Muscle Strains (any – both upper and lower extremities as well as spinal)
- Fractures (any)
- Cartilage injury (any)
- Contusions (any bruising or direct trauma)
- Concussions (pre season evaluation/testing as well as post concussion evaluation and return to play decision making)
- Overuse or chronic conditions
- Tendonitis/Tendinosis (including but not limited to rotator cuff, tennis elbow, wrist, thumb, hip, thigh, knee, leg, Achilles, foot – plantar fasciitis and ankle); including calcific tendonitis of the shoulder and any other location
- Stress fractures (including but not limited to hip, leg, foot and ankle)
- Bursitis (including but not limited to shoulder, elbow, hip – snapping hip, leg, foot, ankle – achilles)
- Arthritis (any joint including “weightlifter’s shoulder”)
- Nerve entrapment (including but not limited to such locations as the shoulder – suprascapular nerve “volleyball shoulder”, elbow -cubital tunnel, wrist – carpal tunnel, pelvis/hip – meralgia paresthetica, leg, ankle – tarsal tunnel, and foot – Morton’s neuroma)
- Any joint, muscle, tendon, ligament or bone pain will be evaluated for optimal management
- Joint Injection/Aspiration
- Calcific tendonitis trephenation/barbotage
- Tendon/Ligament Injections
- Trigger Point Injections
- Nerve and tendon Hydrodissection
- Steroid Injections
- Hyaluronic Acid joint Injections for arthritis – we can make our own so please inquire
- PRP (Platelet Rich Plasma) and any other regenerative therapy injection such as IL-1Ra, and combinations that emulate orthokine, etc.
- Musculoskeletal Ultrasound
- Ultrasound Guided Injections
- ImPACT Neurocognitive Assessment (for concussion)
- Splinting, Casting, Functional Bracing
- Pre-Participation Physical Examination
- Onsite X-Ray
Education and Training
Combined BS/MD from the Sophie Davis School of Biomedical Education
7 -year Medical Program at The City College of New York in conjunction with the State University of New York School of Medicine, Stony Brook, New York, 1993
General Surgery, St. Luke’s/RooseveltHospitalCenter1993-1994
Emergency Medicine,LincolnHospital, South Bronx, New York, 1994-1997
Board Certification in Emergency Medicine
Board Certification in Sports Medicine
Attending of the Year,NorthShoreUniversityHospital, 2008
Attending of the Year,LincolnHospital, 2005
Teacher of the Year,LincolnHospital, 2003
Chief Resident, Lincoln Hospital, 1996-1997
We see patients of all ages and gender (from pediatrics to geriatrics)
We treat patients of all athletic abilities and all sports (from the elite athlete to the person exercising for health/fitness) and
Dancers of all ages and at all levels of competition
Why should you see us?
Approximately 90% of all sports injuries do not require surgery. You should make an appointment to see us if you have a musculoskeletal condition and wish to maximize non-operative treatment.
If you have a condition that requires surgery, we can expedite referral to an outstanding orthopedic surgeon. We will do a sport specific analysis for any sport, including dance and ballet pointe readiness, in order to help prevent injury. We will also do video analysis and/or performance analysis for any sports including but not limited to cycling, running, swimming, weightlifting, ballet, gait analysis and lactate threshold.
If you would benefit from functional bracing, we have access to everything from the walking boot that could eliminate the need for crutches to the return to play brace that allows you to get back into the game/performance while you continue to attend physical therapy and rid the need for a protective device. Fully customized braces are available as well.
Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Thursdays, Fridays
To make an appointment with Dr. Munyak, please call 718-283-6629
We speak Russian, Spanish, Mandarin, Cantonese, Arabic and Italian.